Euro 2020 is just around the corner and there’s a player I want to back in the ‘shots on target’ market having enjoyed the best goalscoring return of his career during 2020/21.
John Stones posed a consistent threat for Manchester City at set-pieces this season, popping up with 4 vital Premier League goals despite not previously scoring for 2 seasons.
Get £70 worth of free bets on ‘Shots On Target’ with Paddy Power’s Euro 2020 offer
For the observer, it certainly brought back memories of the 2018 World Cup when the 27-year-old and centre-back partner Harry Maguire were menaces for opposition defences when it came to England free-kicks and corners.
During that tournament, Stones had 4 headed shots on target alone – finding the net twice – and that’s a stat I’m hopeful of repeating during the Euros to help us win some money – with 2+, 3+ and 4+ headed shots on target during the competition from the Manchester City man priced at 7/2, 14/1 and 66/1 respectively with Paddy Power in their ‘UEFA Euro 2020 – #WhatoddsPaddy – Player Stats’ market.
You may also be interested in our other selections:
- Tottenham v Man City Bet Builder Prediction : Cards and goals likely with Harry Kane speculation rumbling
- Chelsea v Crystal Palace Bet Builder Predictions : Comfortable win expected for the Blues
- Norwich v Liverpool Betbuilder Predictions : Back the Reds and oppose cards at Carrow Road
- Man Utd v Leeds Prediction & Bet Builder : Cards and entertaining encounter expected at Old Trafford
- Brentford v Arsenal Bet Builder Predictions : Expect a more even game than the bookmakers’ odds suggest
- Italy v England Bet Builder: Cagey final anticipated at Wembley
Stones is almost certain to start given Maguire’s injury problems and at 6ft 2″, will be a key target in the box for whoever takes corners.
Two of England’s opponents in the group stages – Croatia and Scotland – both look susceptible to defending balls into the box so I’d back Stones to test the goalkeeper on at least a couple of occasions should he get the better of his marker.
I’d expect England to get to the quarter-finals at least and for their games to be relatively tight so set-pieces could make all the difference again for Gareth Southgate’s troops.
I’d suggest staking as appropriate with each selection given the increasing odds. My recommendation would be 2, 1 and 0.5 units respectively, landing us a profit if only the smallest line lands.
Shots on Target Odds – Selections
2 Units – John Stones 2+ Headed Shots on Target @ 7/2 with Betfair/Paddy Power
1 Unit – John Stones 3+ Headed Shots on Target @ 14/1 with Betfair/Paddy Power
0.5 Units – John Stones 4+ Headed Shots on Target @ 66/1 with Betfair/Paddy Power