A big tournament like Euro 2020 throws up plenty of special markets to delve in to and I’ve spotted a play that I think represent value on the alternative side of the outrights.
I highlighted on social media recently that the penalty total odds were there to be exploited, with a few bookies not factoring the addition of VAR to this Euros compared to any prior iteration which did not have the joys of the Video Assistant Referee to scrutinise potential fouls and handballs that may have been missed by the on-field referee.
Bet365 are one bookmaker which offer this market and I’ve picked out selection for you which should give us a run for our money.
Bet on Euro 2020 Tournament Penalties with Bet365:
At Euro 2016 (without VAR) we saw 51 matches and 12 penalties awarded – 8 of which were scored and 4 missed. If we include penalty shoot-outs, that number rises to 49 penalties taken in total, 36 scored and 13 missed.
At World Cup 2018 (with VAR) we saw 64 matches and 29 penalties awarded in 90 minutes – 22 of which were scored and 7 missed.
If we include penalty shoot-outs, that number rises to 68 penalties taken in total, 48 scored and 20 missed.
You may also be interested in our other selections:
- England v Croatia Bet Builder: Feisty occasion expected for the Three Lions
- England v Croatia Tips – The best bets for Sunday Euro Clash
- England v Croatia Bet Builder : Jack Lamden with goals, throw ins and cards for opener
- Denmark v Finland Bet Builder : Tip the Danes to get off to a great start
- Belgium v Russia bet builder : Red Devils can punish hosts’ vulnerable defence
- Wales v Switzerland Betting Tips – 6/1 Selection from Baku
- Wales v Switzerland Bet Builder : 5/1 Tip for Welsh in Baku
- Turkey v Turkey Betting Tips – Tasty double for Euro 2020 opener
So considering that even the last Euros which did not have VAR saw 13 penalties missed including shoot-outs, the 10/11 price with Bet365 on over 10 penalties missed looks a decent bet in the tournament with Bet365 rules counting shoot-out spot kicks in their settlement.
I would expect VAR to advise the referee to give more penalties than we would see without out (take this season in the Premier League by example) and therefore increase the chances of adding to the tally of those being missed.
Euro 2020 Tournament Penalties Selections
4 Units – Over 10 Missed Penalties in the Tournament @ 10/11 with Bet365